Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Getting there is half the headache

Over the long weekend of October 14-17, Amy and I were in Montreal. First thing on the Friday morning we were at the American Consulate, being told off by a rep for using downloaded forms instead of the photocopies that they'd sent. Luckily, though, that was the only problem and after a nerve-wracking 2 1/2 hour wait, we had the interview with the world's friendliest government official-behind-glass. My Visa was approved, although we had to wait until Monday to pick it up.

We suffered through the rather miserable weekend, where we dodged rainy weather as best as we could. Got a few good pics though.

Amy at Parc Mont Royal

A waterfall from Mont Royal

Skyline from Parc Jean Drapeau

After getting the Visa, we bused back. The next day, Dad came over and helped us get our stuff on a truck and shipped.

The morning after that was the flight, Toronto to San Francisco via Chicago. The stopover allowed us to fly on 2 aircraft types that I'd been wanting to fly on for some time, United Airlines's huge Boeing 777s, and Air Canada's brand-new Embraer 175s. Dad gave us and our monsterous luggage a lift to the airport, and we got checked in, and got my Visa stamped by US Immigration. After an hour and a half wait, we excitedly boarded the Embraer. I took the window seat, and grabbed my camera. I pointed it out the window in preperation to take my first photo, when the warning flashed on 'NO MEMORY CARD.'

It couldn't be. I did not pack my memory card with the rest of our computer, right now on a truck rolling towards Los Angeles. Oh yes I did.

My saving grace was my camera's spare card, a 16 meg card that came with the camera, capable of taking like 6 good-resolution photos. Amy suggested changing the resolution on the camera, and was able to free up space for 28 photos, which would have to do me until we picked up our stuff in 5 days. What a bummer start to the trip, but oh well.

The flight in the brand new airliner was quite exciting!

The Embraer 175 booting over the suburbs of Chicago

One hour and 20 minutes from take-off, we landed at a busy O'Hare International Airport. There were thousands of people all over the place! It was without a doubt the busiest I had ever seen an airport. We fought the crowds to a quick lunch, and then to our chore for our 2 hour stopover...to get my work permit application mailed. The bonus was that the office we were to send it to was in Chicago, which meant if we could do it during our stopover, mailing time would be minimal.

We first hit a business center and got my passport and Visa photocopied. We then stuffed the application into an envelope and I walked miles to another terminal to the post office there to mail it. When all was said and done, that, plus our lunch, took up an hour and a half. Unbelievably big airport, that O'Hare! By that time they were boarding our next flight.

Caught this just before boarding it...United Airlines Boeing 777-200

The flight was delayed due to a delay in loading the baggage, but eventually we pushed back and taxiied towards the runway. On the way, I caught a shot of an Air Canada Embraer 175...not the same aircraft we had flown on, but same type and colours exactly.

Air Canada Embraer 175
We took off into the hazy Chicago sky, and after a 4 hour and quite bumpy flight, we began decending over the Central Valley of California. Just one problem though...I couldn't get my ears to equalize in pressure. Oh the agony as we dropped further and further! I couldn't believe the pain! That was the least enjoyable landing I'd ever experienced. But it was over, and we were actually in California!

We picked up our heavy luggage and walked out to catch a shuttle van downtown. My ears were still aching like crazy as we flew down the highways on the way to the Hotel Parc 55, the same hotel that Mike and Leigh-Anne were enjoying the last few days of their honeymoon at.

Unbeknownst to us, Donna had arranged our night's stay in one of the massive suites on the 31st floor. We'd actually stayed there once before, over Christmas, but it was nevertheless a nice surprise. I didn't bother using any of my last few photos on the room, but I did get a few nice ones of the view...

Looking North towards Nob Hill and the Golden Gate

Looking South
We got in touch with Mike and Leigh-Anne and they came upstairs to hang out. We actually got to use the big conference table in the room just for that purpose! After that, we all went out for some dinner at Lori's Diner and then called it a night. Somewhere in there I managed to equalize my ears and thus was no longer in pain.

The next day Amy and I ran some errands to a few health food stores around the city and had lunch at a raw foods cafe (Amy's NEW favorite restaurant (I accentuate NEW because she has a new one every few months)). We wasted some time with Mike and Leigh-Anne in their room, and caught a few photos....

The clouds covering half the downtown

A historic streetcar on Market St.


The clouds cleared up for this golden sunset

Early in the evening Donna arrived to drive us to our new house. We crossed the Bay Bridge out of San Francisco, and headed home! And that was it! The End!

Next:

-The circus act that was picking up our stuff from the shipping warehouse in L.A.
-Our House
-Our trip to San Diego (happening this weekend)

No comments: